Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A New Edition to the Family...

Yes, yes, yes, she's herrrreeee! I had a little baby girl! Her name is Audrey and she's pretty freaking cute if I may say so myself. She was born on March 30 at 9:23 PM and since then we've been pretty busy getting into a routine--or at least attempting to. She was 7 lbs. 3 oz. and 18 3/4 inches long. This parenting thing is certainly a fun ride. Every day is different, fun, and exciting. Yes, it can sometimes be very exhausting, too, but really, I've got to say, so far, it's so good :)


Sooo, about my labor... since that's a pretty exciting event:
I woke up at about 7 in the morning with some cramping, but things had been odd the past few days (I had "false alarms" that sent me to the hospital on March 10 AND March 28, that little rascal) so I didn't think much of it. Ok, apparantly contractions are like cramps that get more and more intense and then go away, butttt I never really knew that. Plus, my mom never really had much of that during her labors, so she had no clue either. Whenever I'd ask, people would respond with an "Oh, believe me YOU'LL KNOW." What does that even mean? What if I don't know?

Anywayyy, so next thing I knew, my contractions were getting more regular adn some blood was involved, so I called the doctor and they encouraged me to go to the hospital as soon as possible to at least get checked out. I thought, baby girl, you better be coming out this time cause I am not going to leave the hospital one more time without you :) Since my mom was already at worked, Chris offered to take me to the hospital, but Dee insisted on coming home because she'd be too worried if she didn't. We got to the hospital around 8:40 (after I ate a bagel of course--hey, they don't let you eat much of anything once they admit you to the hospital!) and I was apparantly 3 cm dialated. I was then instructed to walk around for 2 hours, which was tons of fun...not. There were all these baby portraits displayed throughout the Labor and Delivery hall, which served as some great entertainment. Our favorite was one of a little boy in a bowl of pasta surrounded by loaves of Italian bread, onions, peppers, and tomatoes. Seriously?! I was having contractions while laughing my rather large pregnant ass off, and trying to take a picture of "Pasta Boy." It was an interesting day.

After two long hours, I was only 5 cm dialted, but they admitted me into a pretty impressive room. I got a shower, walked around a bit more, and requested an epidural. The epidural slowed down my labor, so they also needed to give me some Pitocin. Apparantly they gave me a "light epidural" which was great at blocking out my contractions, but come actual labor-time, it did NOTHING. I felt everrrrything. Before that, however, our good friends Jude and Elaine stopped by to show their support. It was a nice distraction. Then the midwife checked me again and I was 7 cm dialted. Jude and Elaine visited a little longer until I suddenly mentioned to my mom, "Ummm, I'm starting to feel some pain; I think I need to push." Out went the company and in came the nurse and midwife. I kept pressing that little button to get more doses of my epidural, but then the nurse said "Honey, that's not gonna do much of anything anymore." Whaaaaat?! I had a little bit of a meltdown because I was expecting to not feel anything from the waist down haha. But jeesh, they definitely call it labor for a reason. That is some haaaard work. Spencer got there an hour into the pushing, and it was nice to have him there. He was very comforting, and I have to say, he held it all together pretty well. And of course, so did my mom! They held my legs up while the nurse kept telling me to "hold my knees up like a sumo wrestler and GET MAAAD!"

And it worked!! After two of the longest hours of my life, there she was, my beautiful little baby Audrey! Hearing that cry for the very first time is just the most amazing thing ever. There are just no words to describe it. You're exhausted. You're in pain. You're wondering why the hell you have submit your body to this torture. Yet as soon as they lay that little baby in your arms, it all disappears, and all of those feelings are replacaed by an overwhelming feeling of awe and joy. It has given me so much respect for the human body. It's all just so amazing.



Yeah, she's got TONS of hair. I mean, she wasn't even out yet, and my mom and the nurse were staring all up in me saying, "Woah, that's a lot of hair." I was like "Don't talk about it!!!" It's so odd; they offerred to put a mirror down there so that I could watch. HELL NO. And at one point, the nurse asked if I wanted to feel the head coming out. Feel the head?? Seriously? I can feel it all I want for years to come once she's actually born. NO I don't want to feel the head right now!

Oh, fun times.

No comments:

Post a Comment