Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A Toddler's Top 5

Audrey has taken quite a liking to some of my music lately. While she certainly enjoys children's music (especially "Old McDonald Had a Farm" and "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star") she also has quite a sophisticated, slightly hipster-ish taste in music.

The first song of mine that she really started requesting was "Little Bit" by Lykke Li. We had to listen to this song over and over and over and over for a while, especially when we would get into the car. As soon as she was clicked into that car seat, I'd hear "Ittle Bit! Ittle Bit! Ittle Bit!" coming as a request from the backseat. Good thing I like Lykke Li.


I have tried to get Audrey to listen to other Lykke Li (who she calls Ikcky Eeee) songs for quite a long time. In fact, I tried to get Audrey to listen to ANY other songs for quite a while. The other day, we were listening to all of her stuff on shuffle and "Possibility" came on once. An hour or so later, I heard her going "der's a possibiwittyyyy" over and over. I could not believe she caught on to it!





Next on her list of obsessions was "Home" by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. I think this is quite possibly one of the most adorable songs ever written, so I fully support this obsession. I still here this one requested at least once a day, every day. Plus, she attempts to sing along with this one as well. "Awabama Awkensaw I do wuv my ma n' pa." Could you get any cuter?!




Audrey is also a hug fan of Feist, especially "1234." She first heard the song when I played it for her on my iPod figuring that she would become hooked. I was right! Then, she saw Feist on Sesame Street, so sometimes she'll request to watch that video, too. It's so good. She often sings or hums along. I love it. Sometimes I'll try to turn the music down all of the sudden so I can hear her sing better, but she'll say "No, mommy! Louder! Louder, please!"



Her 5th favorite song as of late is "Apollo and the Buffalo and Anna Anna Anna Oh!" by Sunset Rubdown. My friend Amanda made me a mix CD that included this gem, and much like "Possibility," Audrey heard it once and began requesting it. She just refers to it as "Anna Anna Oh!" The ending part where they actually sing those words is her favorite part, and needless to say, I can always hear her singing along.



So far, I fully support Audrey's taste in music! Sometimes it gets frustrating because she'll insist on listening to the same songs over and over and over, and when I suggest we listen to something new, she'll reply "No new song! (Insert song title she wants to listen to)!" However, every now and then she'll let me sneak in something she doesn't know. And every now and then she'll fall in love with one of those songs I sneak in. That girl should thank me.

No comments:

Post a Comment